<i>"The Name of Our Country is América" - Simon Bolivar</i> The Narco News Bulletin<br><small>Reporting on the War on Drugs and Democracy from Latin America
 English | Español November 24, 2017 | Issue #41


Making Cable News
Obsolete Since 2010


Set Color: blackwhiteabout colors

Print This Page
Comments

Search Narco News:

Narco News Issue #40
Complete Archives

Narco News is supported by The Fund for Authentic Journalism


Follow Narco_News on Twitter

Sign up for free email alerts list: English

Lista de alertas gratis:
Español


Contact:

Publisher:
Al Giordano


Opening Statement, April 18, 2000
¡Bienvenidos en Español!
Bem Vindos em Português!

Editorial Policy and Disclosures

Narco News is supported by:
The Fund for Authentic Journalism

Site Design: Dan Feder

All contents, unless otherwise noted, © 2000-2011 Al Giordano

The trademarks "Narco News," "The Narco News Bulletin," "School of Authentic Journalism," "Narco News TV" and NNTV © 2000-2011 Al Giordano

XML RSS 1.0

Javier Cortés Was Shot from Less than 28 Inches Away

The State Attorney’s Office Confirms that Killing of the Youth in Texcoco May 3 Was Intentional Homicide


By Israel Davila
La Jornada

May 18, 2006

TOLUCA, MEXICO, MAY 17. 2006: The homicide of young Javier Cortés Santiago during the clash between Atenco residents and state and federal police on May 3 was not accidental but rather intentional announced Mexico state attorney Abel Villicaña Estrada today. The gun that too the boy’s life, he said, was fired less than 70 centimeters (28 inches) from his body.

The attorney reported that eyewitness testimony to the murder had been obtained in order to determine, with scientific certainty, who fired the .38 caliber gun that killed the youth, “because we still don’t know if it came from the people or from the police.”

The attorney revealed that the forensic evidence shows Cortés Santiago was the victim of “a direct and intentional homicide, because this was not a stray bullet. The shot was discharged at a distance of less than 70 centimeters between the shooter and the victim, and the youth made defensive movements because he lifted his arm and the projectile passed through the arm and introduced itself into his chest.”

With respect to the video that the Miguel Agustín Pro Human Rights Center released last May 10, in which Mexican state police agents acknowledge that the bullet which took the youth’s life was fired by state agents, the state attorney said that the material had already been requested as evidence by the Public Defender’s Office (Ministerio Público).

The attorney from the state of Mexico (the state that borders Mexico city, and in which Atenco and Texcoco are located) assured reporters that the video “lacks legal validity” and “is of no use to the investigation into the boy’s death,” and added that the Mexico state authorities believe the video to be a fake, as it does not give the identity of the police speaking and the voices were distorted.

Share |

Click here for more Narco News coverage of Mexico

Lea Ud. el Artículo en Español
Legga questo articolo in italiano

Discussion of this article from The Narcosphere


Enter the NarcoSphere to comment on this article

Narco News is funded by your contributions to The Fund for Authentic Journalism.  Please make journalism like this possible by going to The Fund's web site and making a contribution today.


- The Fund for Authentic Journalism

For more Narco News, click here.

The Narco News Bulletin: Reporting on the Drug War and Democracy from Latin America